Friday, July 17, 2009

Days 1 & 2

URGENT MESSAGE
I ONLY HAVE 15 PICTURES LEFT. CAN I DELETE THE EARLIER STUFF LIKE PROM? ISN'T IT ALREADY ON THE COMPUTER?? FATHER, PLEASE ANSWER ASAP THOUGH COMMENTS. ASK DANNY FOR HELP.

Day 1:
We got on the tiny little plane to Washington DC, which was miserable and I was sitting next to a crabby old lady. We waited around and then got on a flight from DC to Beijing, which was comfy. I watched Dragonball Z and it was awful. And I was sitting next to a nice Chinese man and I read a lot of my book and slept at odd times. We got cool food like meatloaf and baby pretzels. We also got noodles and chopsticks and I was embarrassed to use chopsticks in front of a native Chinese man so I used a spork. We did not fly west. We flew NORTH! Through PA, NY, Canada, GREENLAND! (I accidentally called it Guilford to the guy sitting next to me), over the North Pole, over RUSSIA, Mongolia, and finally to Beijing. I have cool pictures. However I fell into a short depression because while I was crossing the border to Mongolia, millions of people were watching the Harry Potter premiere which I am still dying to see. So we left DC at noon on tuesday and got there at 2pm wednesday (2am ohio time). We walked a lot and we were all really tired and we had to wait FOREVER in the airport because Mr. Paul's luggage got lost. Also, they did extreme swine flu checks all the time with thermometers they point at your forehead that look like guns. When we got to the school we set up our stuff, met people (there are american, chinese, and british (i love hearing them talk!!) and we ate dinner. It was gross. I was feeling sick anyway. Then we saw the *scary music* toilets. AKA a hole in the floor that kinda flushes. That's honestly the worst part about China. I HATE THE TOILETS. + you have to bring your own toilet paper. They're really disgusting. (so yes, mother, you are kind of right a little bit about china.)
About China: There are so many bikes with little seats on the back. Also men don't like to wear shirts. Chinese people wave to us and actually take pictures of us because we're the only non-asians here. It's strange that they're so excited about it. A lot of stuff is in English along with Chinese. The cars are really round-shaped and they all drive like daddy haha. And they like to drive in between lanes and beep their horns a lot. IT IS SO HOT OUTSIDE. And really humid. I've been sweating so much. And the Chinese people said this was NICE weather? Pish posh.
The People: are all really nice (chinese citizens and kids in the program) Janet, there's a guy who looks exactly like Peter from Degrassi and it's scary and I snuck a picture for you LOL which made me feel really creepy. The kids in my group all get along. And we all hate the food. Stephen told them his name was Steve hahaha so it's weird that everyone calls him that. My roommates in the school are Chelsea, and twins named Judy and Jasmine Ni who are fluent in Chinese.
Day 2:
Wok up, breakfast was okay, to put it kindly. Went to Tian'an Men's Square and it was cool and really big. SO MANY PEOPLE everywhere. I didn't get lost! Went to Forbidden City, which was also nice. It's mainly a big red pretty building, stairs, another big red pretty building, stairs, etc, then a garden in the back with trees that have bark that looks like hair. I have loads of pictures. There are also 2 stone statues of dragons on either side of like every doorway (a male and female) and they look like "THE STONE DRAGON!" from Mulan hahah. We learned some Chinese history and my feet hurt from standing/walking so much. All the buildings are really detailed and old and fancy. After that we went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch. IT WAS SO GOOD!!. It was the biggest meal I've eaten since I got here. Also, we went to the bathroom and there were ACTUAL AMERICAN TOILETS. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see a toilet in my entire life. I went twice even though I didn't have to haha. UMMM it was really cool. but then we left. Then we went to The Temple of Heaven with cool trees (ginko?) and I took pictures. After that we went to a tea shop and got samples and traditional tea info. I bought some stuff there. It was a really pretty shop. After that we went shopping. SHOPPING IS SO SCARY. The salespeople hardly speak english and they run up to you like "DO YOU WANT THIS PRETTY FAN?!?!" and I'm like noo.... But you have to bargain. They'll offer you something for 25 and you have to keep your price at like 5. It's cool because everything is SO CHEAP. 6 dollars chinese money = 1 dollar american. And everything is like 10 chinese. I wish malls in america were like this. anywaaay, i bought stuff for everyone. The electronics section is hilarious because this USB drive said "2 gigabites" and the guy selling it wrote "600 gigabites" and he was trying to sell it to us. Also this crazy guy saw me looking at stamps then like...wouldn't let me leave and my group like helped push me away and we avoided that for a while. This woman wanted 180 for a print. jeremy was like "50" so she gave it to him. then he helped me bargain and i got mine for 40! yay! which is like $6.50 american money. so we left, rode the bus back, ate dinner, and now i'm here.
BYEEE
p.s. i can't call you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie.
    Daddy said you can delete all 400 some photos on the camera before your China trip. We have them saved in the computer. Please check your email for messages from me. I'll write to you again soon. I'm glad all is well. The Great Wall must have been amazing. Much love, Mommy

    ReplyDelete